The H-2A Program allows agricultural employers to bring foreign workers into the United States on a visa that is conditional on the worker's employment for that employer. The H-2A program has specific requirements that an employer must follow, which are meant to protect U.S. workers from being displaced by H-2A visa holders as well as protect the foreign workers who are brought into the United States under this program. For example, these jobs pay at least $14.72 per hour in Michigan in 2021 and provide certain guarantees.
Workers in the U.S. can apply for these jobs and may have claims against an employer that refuses to hire the U.S. workers. Also, workers in the U.S. who are hired for these jobs must receive the same wages and guarantees as foreign workers who are working under this program.
Please note that our office does not assist people in obtaining H2A jobs and we do not deal with companies that try to provide H2A workers to employers. We provide the following information to inform potential workers and farmworker service agencies about potential jobs that are available in Michigan. To obtain these jobs, please contact the Workforce Development Agency office noted in the job listing if you are in Michigan, or contact Michigan's State Monitor Advocate office at 1-855-633-2373 if you are outside of Michigan.
The following H-2A Program Data and the hyperlinked Job Lists indicate the number of Employers and Jobs certified through the H-2A Program in Michigan. These jobs can be filled by foreign workers or U.S. workers.
- 2021 Totals though March 31: 169 Jobs & 4188 Positions
- 2021 Farm Labor Contractors as of March 31: 24 FLC's, 51 Jobs, & 2634 Positions
- 2020 Totals: 296 Jobs & 9912 Positions
- 2020 Farm Labor Contractors: 36 FLC's, 97 Jobs, & 5773 Positions
- 2019 Totals: 271 Jobs & 9592 Positions
- 2019 Farm Labor Contractors: 28 FLC's, 62 Jobs, & 3,678 Positions
- 2018 Totals through above date: 235 Jobs & 9550 Positions
- 2018 Farm Labor Contractors: 24 FLC's, 46 Jobs, & 3,955 Positions
- 2017 Totals: 153 Jobs & 6,633 Positions
- 2017 Farm Labor Contractors: 23 FLC's, 46 Jobs, & 3,661 Positions
- 2016 Totals: 90 Jobs & 4,073 Positions
- 2016 Farm Labor Contractors: 14 FLC's, 22 Jobs, & 1,984 Positions
- 2015 Totals: 52 Jobs & 2,301 Positions
- 2015 Farm Labor Contractors: 7 FLC's, 10 Jobs, & 964 Positions
- 2014 Total: 36 Jobs & 1,302 Positions
- 2014 Farm Labor Contractors: 3 FLC's, 6 Jobs, & 563 Positions
- 2013 Totals: 19 Jobs, 500 positions
- 2013 Farm Labor Contractors: 1 FLC, 1 Job, 120 Positions
- 2012 Totals: 18 Jobs, 344 Positions
- 2012 Farm Labor Contractors and their orders and positions: 0; 0; 0